March 21: University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and #hogfbchat Football Coach Clinic– Whitewater, Wisconsin
I’ve had the great opportunity to start the last three years with my high school colleagues at AFCA’s (American Football Coaches Association) national convention. It’s an incredible opportunity to learn, share and connect with other coaches – totally recommend making this specific trip … even if you have to travel. I’ve always been motivated to do more and be more as a coach in every aspect.
I caught another clinic last spring by chance thanks to social media and I’ve attended the Glazier Clinic in Atlanta, but I decided for the 2020 season I’d try to help the coaching community by cultivating as comprehensive of a list for other football coaches as I could.
Here’s what I’ve got so far … please comment or message me with others that should be added… Any clinic for football coaches to learn can be included!
- New Jersey
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
Jan. 9-11: Florida FACA Winter Football Clinic – Daytona, Florida
- Capital City Football Clinic – Olympia, Washington
- Fox Football Academy Football Kicking Clinic– Warwick, New York
Jan. 12-14: American Football Coaches Association Annual Convention – Nashville, Tennessee
Jan. 16-18: Michigan High School Football Coaches Association Winners Circle Annual Football Clinic – Lansing, Michigan
Jan. 17-18: Piney Woods Football Clinic – Longview, Texas
Jan. 19: Hilltop Clinic – 555 Claire Avenue, Chula Vista, California (free)
Jan. 20: West Jefferson Football Coaches Clinic– West Jefferson, Ohio
Jan. 23-24: Southeast Texas Coaches Association 22nd Annual Golden Triangle Coaches Clinic – Beaumont, Texas
Jan. 23-25: Nike Clinics – Atlanta, Georgia
- Play Fast Football Clinic – St. Augustine Beach, Florida
- Glazier Chalk Talk Specialty Clinic – Des Moines, Iowa
- Dallas-Fort Worth Coaches Clinic– Dallas, Texas
- Northwest Ohio Football Coaches Association Mini Clinic at Napolean High School – Napolean, Ohio
- Dick Tressel Football Coaches Clinic – St. Paul, Minnesota
Jan. 29: North Central Ohio Football Coaches Association Clinic – Bucyrus, Ohio
Jan. 30 – Feb. 1: Kansas City High School Coaches Clinic– Kansas City, Missouri
Jan. 31-Feb. 2:
- Glazier Clinics, 150 and Specialty Clinics – Boston, Massachusetts; Orlando, Florida; Indianapolis, Indiana
- Kansas Football Coaches Association (KFBCA) Clinic – Wichita, Kansas
- Nike Clinics – Las Vegas, Nevada
- New York State High School Football Coaches Association Clinic – Verona, New York
- Ohio Football Coaches Association Clinic – Columbus, Ohio
- Nike Clinics – Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- North Carolina Football Coaches Association Winter Clinic – Greensboro, North Carolina
- Glazier Clinics – Atlanta, Georgia; Baltimore, Maryland; Dallas, Texas; Kansas City, Kansas; Las Vegas, Nevada; Minneapolis, Minnesota; San Francisco, California
- Arkansas Football Coaches Association Ronnie Roach Football Clinic – Hot Springs, Arkansas
Feb. 12: First North Texas Football Coaches Association – North Richland, Texas (Birdville)
Feb. 12-17: FCA Football Family Cruise Coaching Clinic – Royal Caribbean cruise departing from Galveston, Texas
- PSFCA 2020 Clinic– State College, Pennsylvania
- Nike Clinics – Mid-South (Robinsonville, Mississippi)
- South Plains Football Clinic – Lubbock, Texas (pre-registration ends Feb. 4)
- Nike Clinics – Louisville, Kentucky
- Second Annual Western Maryland Coaches Clinic – Union Bridge, Maryland
- FCA Omaha-Metro Football Clinic – Council Bluffs, Iowa
Feb. 19: Second North Texas Football Coaches Association – Fort Worth (TCU)
- Glazier Clinics, Specialty Clinic and Head Coach Academy – Atlantic City, New Jersey; Cincinnati, Ohio; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Houston, Texas; Los Angeles, California; St. Louis, Missouri
- Harding University Football Coaches Clinic – Conway, Arkansas
- Minority Coaches Association of Georgia Coaches Conference – Atlanta, Georgia
- Alabama Spread & Defensive Clinic – Birmingham, Alabama
- Surface to Air System National RPO Clinic – Atlanta, Georgia
- Powered Up Clinic – La Vista, Nebraska
- Best in the US – Missouri FCA – Springfield, Missouri
- Texas Alliance for Black School Educators Conference & Leadership Institute for aspiring athletic directors and head coaches – San Antonio, Texas
- Nike Clinics – South Ontario, Burlington, Canada and San Diego, California
- USA Football National Conference – Louisville, Kentucky
- South Carolina Football Coaches Clinic – Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
- Minority Football Coaches Network Talking Ball at Talking Stick – Scottsdale, Arizona
- Georgia Tech Football Strength & Leadership Clinic – Atlanta, Georgia register
- NHSSCA Alabama Family Day State Clinic– Saraland, Alabama
- Highway 10 Clinic hosted by Perryville Football – Perryville, Arkansas – FREE
Feb. 24: Texas High School Coaches Association Leadership Summit – Arlington, Texas
Feb. 26: Third North Texas Football Coaches Association – Dallas area (UNT)
Feb. 27-29: Nike Clinics – Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and New England (Windsor, Connecticut)
Feb. 28: Northwest Ohio Football Coaches Association Clinic – Findlay, Ohio –
- Iowa Football Coaches Association Clinic – Alatoona, Iowa
- Cottonwood High School Coaching Clinic – Murray, Utah
- White River Coaching Clinic – Floral, Arkansas – (more)
- New England Patriots and Massachusetts High School Football Coaches Association Coaches Clinic – Foxborough, Massachusetts
- Coaching Academy Clinics– Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
- Nike Clinics – Allentown / Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Feb. 28-March 1: Nike Clinics – Portland, Oregon; Orlando, Florida
- Perry Meridian Football Offensive Line Coaches Clinic– Indianapolis, Indiana
- “Bring That Hammer” Coaches Clinic – Quitman, Georgia more
- 1st Annual Pigskin & Pints Coaches Clinic – Nappanee, Indiana
March 4: Fourth North Texas Football Coaches Association – Dallas (SMU)
March 5-7: Nike Clinics – Dallas, Texas
March 5-6: Minority Coaches Association of Alabama Coaches Clinic– Birmingham, Alabama
- National Option Clinic – Richardson, Texas
- Missouri Minority Coaches Association Football Clinic – St. Louis
- The Big New England Clinic – Newport, Rhode Island
- Nike Clinics – Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Tony Franklin Clinics – Murfreesboro, Tennessee
March 6-8: Glazier Clinics, 150, Coordinator School, Specialty Clinic and Head Coach Academy – Atlanta, Georgia; Chicago, Illinois; Detroit, Michigan; Seattle, Washington; Northern Virginia & Washington D.C.
March 12: Night of Football Coaches Clinic – Cherry Hill, New Jersey
March 12-14: Indiana Football Coaches Association Clinic – Indianapolis, Indiana
March 13-14: West High School More with 4 System – Knoxville, Tennessee
March 13-15: Glazier Clinics, Specialty Clinics – Charlotte, North Carolina; Cleveland, Ohio; New York / New Jersey
- Southeast Wing-T, Spread and Defensive Clinic – Dublin, Georgia
- More with 4 Coaches Clinic – Knoxville, Tennessee
- University of Louisville Football Clinic– Louisville, Tennessee (first date)
- Nebraska Coaches Clinic – Lincoln, Nebraska
- Powered Up Clinic – Rogers, Arkansas
- South Dakota Football Coaches Association Clinic – Vermillion, South Dakota
- University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and #hogfbchat Football Coach Clinic– Whitewater, Wisconsin
- SMASH Football Training Champions Coaches Clinic – Downey, California
- Illinios High School Football Coaches Association Clinic– Champaign, Illinois
- Mississippi State Football Coaches Clinic – TBD more info (@HailStateFB)
- University of Georgia Coaches Clinic– Athens, Georgia
- Minnesota Football Coaches Association Clinic – Minneapolis, Minnesota
March 27-28: University of Louisville Football Clinic– Louisville, Tennessee (second date)
March 28-30: Notre Dame Coaches Clinic – South Bend, Indiana
March 28-29: 2nd Annual Split Back Veer / Option Football Clinic – Lakeview, Michigan (free)
March 29-30: University of Iowa Coaches Clinic– Iowa City, Iowa
April 2-4: Army Football Coaches Clinic – West Point, New York
April 3-4: Nike Clinics – Southern California / Los Angeles, California
April 12-13: North Dakota State Coaches Clinic– Fargo, North Dakota
April 17-18: Southeast Iowa Coaches Clinic – Moravia, Iowa
May 2: Minority Coaches Association of Georgia HBCU Football Coaches Clinic – Atlanta, Georgia
May 8-9: Air Raid Clinic by the Hal Mumme Air Raid System – Fayetteville, North Carolina
May 15-16: The Annual Offensive Line Clinic – Cincinnati, Ohio
May 30: Faith, Family & Football Coaches Clinic– Helena, Alabama
July 20-23: North Carolina Coaches Association Football Clinic – Greensboro, North Carolina
Monday nights are for #HogFBChat Twitter meetings.
A big group of Offensive Line coaches sit around and share ideas. It’s fun to see other coaches I’ve worked with contributing, and hundreds I’ve never met … discussing how to get better.
Tonight, I joined a few coaches in a conversation I’m passionate about: teaching.
Rewind: I think about my high school football coach a lot, even almost 20 years later.
On a day recognizing the best of football, Coach Paul Flynn changed my life.
He didn’t make it easy. He made it possible. He invested extra time to teach. He never laughed at my ambition or ineptitude. He cared.
He’s still one of my greatest inspirations as a coach & person. pic.twitter.com/08EkEPYIEY
— Roseanna Smith (@CoachSmith67) February 4, 2018
Coach Flynn helped me LEARN the game.
It helped that there were zero expectations – no one in my family ever played.
Outside of me, I’m sure no one thought I would really make it through the season, let alone go on to play on the USA Football national team 10 years later.
Being a girl learning the game also worked in my favor, because in addition to the lack of expectations and pressures most players face, I had no ego. I found out day one that I didn’t know any of the things I thought I knew …. so I asked a million questions.
I literally was in the coaches’ office most days after practice and looking back on it now, Coach Flynn deserved an extra stipend just for answering my questions.
Spending time with players teaching is a huge investment in their development … especially since you have approximately one million things to do at all times as a coach.
What Coach Flynn, my teammates, and coaches over the years did for me was communicate all the details. I’m now firmly in the camp of people who believe life (and football) is conquering the small things.
Tonight I commented on the thread below during #HogFBChat … and I feel very strongly that my inexperience early on is now an asset as a coach. I don’t assume or expect the kids to walk in the door with the football IQ we want. I just want to make sure they leave us with one.
The young guys want to learn and will soak up as much as you can teach … but assume nothing.
For example, I had to clarify the No. 3 receiver isn’t the guy wearing the No. 3 jersey.
— Roseanna Smith (@CoachSmith67) February 13, 2018
My best advice for coaching younger players:
- Never assume your players know what you say, or what you want. You’ll both always be frustrated. Show them, tell them, repeat.
- Never talk down to your players or assume that the JV / freshmen / 8th graders shouldn’t learn something because it’s “for the varsity.” Those kids are your future varsity … and you might need them sooner than either of you thinks.
- If you show players how knowing more will directly help them improve or prepare to be more successful … they might want to be better students of the game.
- Get sub-varsity kids access to film. Grade it, scout it, teach them how to watch it. This pays dividends in the long run. Hudl makes it so easy.
- Keep the teaching (and you talking) short and focused. Pick the most important keys and build on them as you go along.
- Create an environment where curiosity is valued. Young players hate looking stupid and will rarely ask questions. Lots of times, they might not even be sure where to start.
- If you don’t know an answer … find out. Never guess.
Here’s to us all being better coaches, mentors and teachers every day.